We are seeking a dynamic financial professional to further the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) science mission by providing coordination and support to individual programs as well as to aid LASP faculty in managing sponsored research programs. Duties include research, selection, and compilation of financial data from multiple sources, such as production, accounting, vendors, and travel to produce an analysis of business information used to support decisions. Identifies questionable data and may then direct others in verifying the accuracy of data. Work assignments are complex and have a significant financial impact on the lab. Provides leadership and direction to other professional and clerical staff with respect to fiscal approach and project management. Decisions may impact the effectiveness and efficiency of administrative and business processes.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at the University of Colorado Boulder (CU) began in 1948, a decade before NASA. We are the world’s only research institute to have sent instruments to all eight planets and Pluto. LASP develops, designs, and builds instruments and spacecraft for space-based observations of the Sun, Earth, and planets. LASP has built instruments and participated in missions to every planet in the solar system. LASP manages the financial aspects for over 170 active grants and contracts, from proposal through award.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Performs work of varied and considerable difficulty requiring advanced data collection, analysis, forecasting, compiling and writing reports.
- Applies knowledge of financial management principles and analytical techniques.
- Functions as the financial program analyst for multi-year projects from proposal/pre-award management through project execution and project close-out. This includes partnering with Engineering Management, Principle Investigators and other project partners to provide financial data analysis, track costs and advise on financial matters.
- Prepare management financial reports, including NASA 533’s and Earned Value reports when required; respond to other special reporting requirements; approve transactions for compliance with the funding agency, CU, and LASP requirements.
- Review research grants and/or contracts to ensure project compliance with reporting requirements and identify issues requiring action and/or mitigation.
- Partners frequently with program management, agency customers, and lab executives requiring a high level of communication skills to plan, negotiate, and coordinate financial position, investments, and similar issues.
- Partners with program managers and contracts organization to create quality proposals.
- Develop, interpret, and or evaluate compliance with policies and procedures.
- Provide peer assistance and/or serve as a leader for a team or small work unit.
- Other duties as assigned to facilitate continuity within research programs at LASP.
What You Should Know
Due to US Export Control restrictions, only US Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
What We Can Offer
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment.
Be Innovative. Be Resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent with three to five+ years of experience or master’s in business and two to three+ years of experience.
- Complete proficiency in Microsoft Excel and working knowledge in other MS Officeproducts.
What You Will Need
- Able to resolve routine issues and make independent/logical decisions and/or recommendations.
- Has a basic understanding of federal, state, and university principles.
- Ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile, and evaluate data.
- Able to generate financial reporting for internal and external customers.
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to multi-task while under pressure.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees, customers, and vendors.
- Understanding of Earned value management.
What We Would Like You to Have
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Prior experience working as a financial analyst.
- Understanding and experience with Deltek/Cobra or other project management tools.
Special Application Instructions
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Please apply at: https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=23269
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer