GLL UVS/EUV Data File Types
June 15, 2010 - kes
This file gives a list of the filename extensions for the files on the
Galileo archive web site. The filename extensions are a key to what type
of information is in the file of that name type. Generally, each type has
a Planetary Data System, PDS, formated label file that describes the
contents of the data file. Files in the archive are organized by
Orbit number (or for pre-Jupiter operations, by encounter load name)
followed by the observation ID given to the observation by the JPL planners
and documented in the OAPEL forms, also available on the web site.
A given observation, for example, will have a data file (file.dat or
file.xdr) and a data file label (file.lbl or file.xlbl). There will also
be one or more geometry files associated with the same ID (file.foot and
file.foot_lbl, as well as .moon and .moon_lbl, or .look and .look_lbl.)
So, assume there is a PDS label file for each data or metadata type below;
further label filenames will not be specified in the list.
Note: filenames may have "_ii" values following the extension name.
These represent Vax file version numbers carried along into unix filenames.
file extension description
- .dat = Vax formated data file (use idl's "/vax_float")
- .xdr = Unix formatted data file
- .foot = UVS field of view (FOV) footprint viewing geometry
- .look = UVS FOV torus location geometry
- .moons = UVS satellite viewing geometry subset
- .stat (also uvs_*_status.lis) = UVS engineering status information; see the .lis file label for a description of the contents.
- .sav = UVS and EUV (IDL "SAVE") structures
- .lis = lists JPL observation ID versus the data filename.
Other list files give individual status vs spectra info
- .lis (the *orbit_status.lis files) = file name versus start and end times in two formats for that orbit
- .oapel = files containing scanned images of the JPL OAPEL sheets
- .gggs = image of GGGS s/w generated observation design graphics
- .aacs = S/C Attitude and Articulation Control System enginnering
used for pointing confirmation on early operations
- .sl3 and .sl4 = IDL SAVE images of torus geometry; both UVS and EUV
sl4 files are a later generation of the sl3 information
- .log = A pre-cursor file for the footprint label file
also a document file for .sl3 and .sl4 files
- .doc = document files containing general information
- .tab = a table of items
- .pro = an IDL software procedure
- .txt = a document file
- .ds = a PDS formated metadata information file
- .template = a PDS document of metadata example file
- .example = a sample format for a document file
- .cat = a PDS catalog file
- _working_group_ = a Working Group document of observation plans
- .me = a READ_ME type file
- .objectives = UVS and EUV science objectives document
- .alt_rutz =altitude geometry for Jupiter Bright Limb measurements
created by G.Rutz for W.Pryor with the GGGS program
Data filenames using a descriptor like NOD27 or NOD30 indicate the data has no decompression plus the s/w version number. The final, standard data format is no decompression of the onboard compression algorythm in the archive data files.