LASP is not currently accepting regular tour reservations but will post opportunities that are open to the public on this page as they become available.
For specific tour-related questions, please contact email@example.com.
Space-based science: behind-the-scenes tours of LASP
Tours to be offered 10/19 and 10/21 as part of Research & Innovation Week
LASP has evolved from launching rockets in a parking lot in 1948 to becoming the only research institute in the world to have sent instruments (with a profile of CU’s mascot Ralphie) to every planet in our solar system.
This tour of our main building will highlight all aspects of this research and development cycle, from our state-of-the-art machine shop, class-10,000 clean rooms, and a whale-sized thermal vacuum chamber—to our Mission Operations Center, where undergraduate students help operate multimillion dollar NASA satellites and instruments. You’ll also visit our exhibit lobby, where an actual Mariner spacecraft, several one-tenth-scale mission models, a 26-foot Aerobee 150 sounding rocket, and other artifacts showcase our institute’s unique history.
- These tours will meet and begin at the main entrance of the LASP Space Techology Building (LSTB), which is located on CU Boulder’s East Campus at 1234 Innovation Drive.
- Participants must provide their names and country of citizenship in advance and are encouraged to wear masks.
- The tours will last one hour and are available at 11:00am on both Wednesday 10/19 and Friday 10/21.
- You MUST register in advance to participate. Because this is a working facility, each tour is limited to a maximum of 15 people. Please register here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q7Tcr8cc6nxFY70smmy-_ZfGdhQufkzERrUzrk_eVnc/edit#gid=0
- From the main campus, you can take the Marine Street Express shuttle to the east campus. The closest stop is at Innovation Drive between the Biotech and LSTB buildings, a very short walk to the LSTB front entrance.
- Limited metered parking is available in the northeast corner of LASP’s main parking lot (#548). If those are full, please check for spots along Innovation Drive (next to the Biotech building to the west of LASP) or in the back of the CASA building (located just east of the LSTB building). Alternatively, you may purchase a $12/day permit from the front desk (one per vehicle).