irst round papers for GRL special issue on MMS:
1 December is the agreed deadline for such papers.
Fall 2015 Science Working Group / Team (SWG/SWT) Meeting=
2-6 November 2015, SwRI, Sa=
n Antonio TX: Logistics: Agenda (TBS), Registration;
Hotels (nearest SWRI: Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, Best Western. Also =
Hampton Inn, others closer to airport.)
The Fall SWT meeting will convene on Tues. 3 Nov. 2015, and adjourn o=
n Thurs. 5 Nov.
Mon. 2 Nov and Fri. 6 Nov are available for team meet=
ings. Rooms can be arranged through SwRI/Bill Lewis, Leah Roberson. <=
MMS Online Science Data Analysis Workshops
Every other Tuesday, beginning 1 Sep 2015 @ 10:00 Central / 11:00 Easter=
n (Note time change from 18 Aug)
Join WebEx meeting
See e-mail for hot link and definitive meeting coordinates. Or enter the=
MMS Online Data Analysis
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
10:00 am |=
Central Daylight Time (Chicago, GMT-05:00) | 2 hrs
Join WebEx =
Meeting number: 809 629 067
Meeting password: Smart1
Join by phone
1-866-469-3239 Call-in toll-free number (US/Cana=
1-650-429-3300 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Access code: 8=
09 629 067
From: <Burch>, Jim=
Date: Monday, August 31, 2015 11:53 AM<=
br />Subject: Fwd: (Forward to others) WebEx meeting invitation: MMS Online=
This is a reminder of our data analysis te=
lecon at 10 AM CDT tomorrow.
Attached is the crib_master_v3.pro, =
which we will use to discuss the events on Aug. 15 and Aug. 28. Summary pl=
ots for the SITL option for these dates are also attached.
To use =
the procedure, first download the latest bleeding edge:
Select the top zip file. Install this in your SPEDAS directory.
The crib_master_v3.pro is not in bleeding edge yet. Save it from this email=
Please run this for the two events to make=
sure it works. If not, restart IDL. This way you will have the data on you=
r local system. That will speed things up.
If you want to show burst d=
ata or any analysis, please have that ready for the bouncing ball.
plan will be to discuss these events first and then possibly look at the d=
ata that comes in today if there are any magnetopause crossings.
e pass this on to others in your team.
Next Science Working Team Telecon:&nb=
MMS SWT Telecon, 11:00 Eastern=
, Tues. 25 Aug 2015
Telecon: + 1-844-467-4685; Participant code 416667=
Editable distribution address list:
=E2=80=A2 Quiet week for SITL but 15 Aug pass deserves full cour=
=E2=80=A2 Post-Launch Assessment Review in parallel with this =
=E2=80=A2 Online data analysis workshops: alternating T=
uesdays continuing 1 Sep., 11:00 Eastern
=E2=80=A2 SODAWG: http://bit=
=E2=80=A2 Other business?
Eclipse Season Science Working Group / Team (SWG/SWT) Meeting
18-21 May 2015, LASP=
, CU Boulder: Logistics, <=
enda V5a, Registration; Updates; Hotels; Presentations
The "Eclipse" SWT meeting will conven=
e on Tuesday, May 19 at 8:30 am and adjourn on Thursday, May 21 at 5:00 pm.
MMS News (For the latest on MMS commissioning, see Paylo=
ad Status link at right)
- New: 15 August: MMS encount=
ered its first magnetopause crossing at 11:03 UT, owing to a strong compres=
- New: 13 July: All FPI spect=
rometers have now been activated and operated at high voltage with excellen=
- New: 9 July: MMS constellation is brought into tetrahedra=
l formation at 160 km mean spacing.
- 12 June: Van Allen Probes conjunction occurred. Data is available to do=
wnloaded. SITL test lessons were learned.
- 11 June: Spacecraft tilt, warm and shake did not result in additional e=
xtension of -Z ADP, but confirmed its rigidity.
- 9 June: Spacecraft being tilted to warm the -Z ADP mechanism and thrust=
er firings will be done to perturb it.
- 27 May: Chapman Conference (NCTS 22481-15) abstracts due=
- 20 May: SWT meeting group photo posted to this pa=
ge (scroll down).
- 15 May: SWT Agenda =
V5 posted at the Meeting link above with minor tweaks and better room infor=
- 13 May: SWT Agenda =
V4a posted at the Meeting link above. Dan Baker will be our after-dinner sp=
- 8 May: All ADP booms and EIS door=
s have deployed successfully. MMS #3 -Z ADP boom remains at 97% deployed bu=
t is fully functional.
- 6 May: SPDF Orbit Plots for MMS and other missions link=
ed at the right under "Operations".
- 6 May: SWT Ag=
enda V2 posted at the Meeting link above.
- 4 May: +Z ADP Boom de=
ploy successfully completed on MMS 1, 2, 4; now complete on all four s/c. <=
- 15 April: SDP 1-4 fully deployed on MMS 1-4.
- 8 April: Published chapters of the MMS Book can be accessed using the &=
quot;MMS Book" link at the right.
- 8 April: The Commissioning Plan Overview was moved to the Payload Statu=
s page, accessible at the right.
- 7 April: SDP 1-4 successfully deployed to 17 m on MMS1-4.
- 1 April: EDI is the first instrument to complete a full HV checkout on =
all four s/c.
- Early MMS data examples are posted under "Discussions" at the=
left in the navigation column.
- The Fall 2015 MMS SWT Meeting has been set for 2-6 November at SwRI in =
San Antonio, TX.
- 23 Mar: LV activations underway on all four s/c.
- 17 Mar: Probe receivers, MAG boom=
s deployed, MMS captures first data including a substorm.
- 13 Mar: SWT presentations have bee=
n posted under "Discussions" on the navig=
ation column to the left.
- 13 Mar: MMS had a picture perfect launch, injection, and separation of the four spacecraft! =
- 7 Mar: A further revision of the SWT meeting agenda was posted. Changes=
are mainly on Wednesday, 11 Mar.
- 27 Feb: A major revision of the SWT meeting agenda has been necessary o=
wing to the need for time for launch pad tours. See link above.
- 25 Feb: Encapsulation was completed and the payload is on the transport=
er for delivery to the launch vehicle.
- A set of p=
hotos have been posted of the MMS stack and shroud being prepped for en=
- 18 Feb: SWT Agenda has been corrected/updated with minor changes, inclu=
ding the abbreviated version above.
- 17 Feb: Final stacking of the spacecraft has been completed. Next: pyro mating, bagging, move to encapsulation. L=
V testing underway.
- 17 Feb: NASA Guest Operations is expected to mai=
l invitations to the launch by 17 Feb. Additional information will be provided with the invites.
- Scientist In The Loop=
added to this page at upper right. =
- 20 Jan 2015: Future Plans: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting will b=
e in Boulder at LASP on 18-21 May, during the "eclipse break" fro=
m commissioning of the spacecraft.
- MMS Book Chapters can be browsed with the following linked search: http://link.springer.com/search?que=
- 15 Jan 2015: Future Plans Made: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting w=
ill be in Boulder at LASP on
15-19 June 18-21 May, during the "=
eclipse break" from commissioning of the spacecraft.
- If for any reason the launch slips, it will do so one day at a time, an=
d it is expected that the launch will occur not later than 16 March.
- 12 Jan 2015: ULA reported to LSP and MMS that the qualification test of=
the new Booster Main Vehicle Battery (BMVB) was completed. Initial indicat=
ions are the battery passed the test with the expected post-test VOC and a =
successful functional test after vibration. The battery capacity test and a=
DPA of the cells will be completed this week. This further increases confi=
dence that the battery issue will be resolved in time to maintain the 3/12/=
2015 launch date.
- 11 Jan 2015: The orbital debris waiver for the Centaur upper stage has =
been approved by NASA HQ.
- Oct 2014: Magnetic explosion probes make it to the Cape
- 20-21 Oct 2014 GSFC SWT Meeting presentations are posted.
- 29 Oct 2014: MMS Spacecraft #1 =
and 2 shipped to KSC on 28 Oct. 2014 and have now arrived.
- 22-24 Oct 2014: The MMS Pre-Shi=
p Review was held.
- 17 Oct 2014: The MMS Media Day =
and Social was held.
- The MMS Launch Readiness Date has been confirmed at 12 March 2015.
- 25-27 Mar 2014 U-Iowa SWT Meeting presentations are posted. Photo of Kletzing add =
to photo gallery page.
- The MMS-THEMIS Coordination Workin=
g Group Page contains important information.
- MMS Book chapter manuscripts are now due to be submitted both here for =
internal review, and at the Space Science Reviews site, as explained here
or the latest on MMS, like us on Facebook
0 Nov 2013: A current list=
of MMS publications has been created.
6-28 June 2013 Mission Operations Review GSFC
0 June 2013: First CPT completed successfully! Congrats to I&T Team!&nb=
span style=3D"background-color: transparent;line-height: 1.4285715;"> on Pr=
esident's Budget and impacts on STEM Education and Outreach. =
7-30 Aug 2012: Mission SIR at GSFC
1 Jan 2012: IS SIR at SwRI and on WEBEX for instrument team leads. [Present=
ations are here.|http://tinyurl.com/773njst
0 June 2011: Commissioning discussion at GSFC
-9 June 2011: Ground System PDR at GSFC
-2 June 2011: SRB Update Briefing at GSFC Visitor Center
8 May 2011: "Interactive Tools for D=
ata Transformation and Visualization" by J. Heer @ GSFC IS&T Colloq=
-6 May 2011: SOC Technical Interchange Meeting at LASP
May 2011: Pre-PDR Peer Review of SOC at LASP
ew MMS Project Web Site is up. Check it out and comment here...