Operations Software Engineer
Posted September 5, 2023
We are looking for two motivated, technically-inclined, and space-loving undergraduates with an interest in software engineering and computer science. You will work collaboratively within the LASP Operations Software (OSW) team to design, implement, test, and distribute high-quality software and systems for ground-based spacecraft operations in order to further our commitment to space science and exploration. This is an hourly position with up to 20 hours/week available during the school year, and up to 40 hours/week in the summer. An ideal candidate will be able to maintain a minimum of 10 hours per week during the school year, and 30 hours per week during the summer.
Expectations, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Completing training related to LASP, spacecraft operations, ground systems, and OSW tools and systems
- Designing, implementing, testing, and releasing software for spacecraft operations
- Writing technical and user-focused documentation concerning the software solutions and architectures we implement
- Pursuing a technical undergraduate degree at CU
- Familiarity and experience with basic programming constructs (control flow, data structures, etc.)
- Ability to write code in at least one modern programming language (C++, Python, Rust, Java, etc.)
- Basic experience with Linux/Unix shells; familiarity with the command line and the ability to do basic interaction with an operating system via the terminal
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated, organized, open-minded, and excited to learn and grow
- Awareness of software development methods, tools, and trends
- Interest in any of the following: software, computer science, space, astrophysics, cosmology, astrobiology, climatology, engineering
- Familiarity with any of the following: computer systems, operating systems, network systems, object-oriented programming, algorithms, programming language principles
Application and Interview Process
Resumes for this position will be accepted until it is filled.
1. Please submit your resume and a short cover letter via e-mail to: HRADS@lasp.colorado.edu
- Note: Due to the requirement to access export-controlled data and information, only U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (green cards), or other protected individuals (i.e., persons designated as an asylee, refugee, or a temporary resident under amnesty provisions) may apply
- Please include your US citizenship status in your email
2. We will select qualified candidates and invite them via email for on-site interviews
- In the interview, we will explain more about this role and the things we do in OSW
- We will also ask questions related to your course work, domain knowledge, related experience, and problem-solving skills (we may pose a non-technical thought exercise to see how you think and reason)
3. After the interview phase, we will send out offer letters via email to the candidates who best fit the role at this time
All final applicants being considered for employment are subject to background investigations including a criminal history check and when appropriate a financial and/or motor vehicle history.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Colorado Boulder is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including veterans, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, or disability.
$17.50-23.00 per hour