2013 New Media Professional Development Workshop
Martian climate and the MAVEN mission
August 23—25, 2013
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP)
University of Colorado Boulder (CU-Boulder)
Space Sciences Building—Room W120
Both of our New Media Practitioners Professional Development workshops have been completed as planned. The presentations from the 2013 workshop are posted below.
The 2015 workshop focused on MAVEN data and discoveries to date, as told through lectures and interaction with MAVEN scientists and experts.
About the Workshop
The 2013 NMPD workshop brought bloggers, podcasters, social media users, and other science communicators to LASP for a two-day intensive workshop with space scientists. The 2013 workshop offered a collaborative professional development opportunity for attendees to learn about current issues surrounding the evolution of the Martian climate, with an emphasis on MAVEN.
Download Workshop Agenda (143KB PDF)
- The potential for life on Mars and the Martian climate
- The MAVEN mission
- The MAVEN Neutral Gas Ion Mass Spectrometer (NGIMS) instrument
- Connections between MAVEN and the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL)
- Dr. Bruce Jakosky: Principal Investigator for MAVEN; Associate Director for Science, LASP; Director, CU-Boulder Center for Astrobiology
- Dr. Mehdi Benna: Planetary Scientist, NASA Goddard; Engineer for MAVEN-NGIMS and MSL
- Dr. Janet Luhmann: Senior Fellow, Space Sciences Laboratory, UC-Berkeley; MAVEN Science Team
- Dr. Nick Schneider: Instrument Lead, MAVEN-IUVS; Associate Professor, LASP/CU-Boulder Department of Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences (APS)
- Dr. Michael Meyer: Lead Scientist, NASA Mars Exploration Program
- Dr. David Brain: Assistant Professor, LASP/CU-Boulder APS; MAVEN Science Team Co-Investigator
- Dr. Joseph Grebowsky: Astrophysicist, NASA Planetary Magnetospheres Laboratory; MAVEN Project Scientist
- Dr. Jasper Halekas: Assistant Research Physicist, Space Sciences Laboratory, UC-Berkeley; MAVEN-SWIA Instrument Lead
- Dr. Robert Lillis: Assistant Research Physicist, Space Sciences Laboratory, UC-Berkeley; MAVEN-SEP Instrument Scientist
Bruce Jakosky—The History of Life on Mars
View slides from this presentation (11.5 MB PDF)
Nick Schneider—Mars: Once a Habitable World?
View slides from this presentation (20.9 MB PDF)
Janet Luhmann—What does Mars’ upper atmosphere have to do with its climate history?
View slides from this presentation (4.4 MB PDF)
Bruce Jakosky—The 2013 MAVEN Mission to Mars
View slides from this presentation (9 MB PDF)
Mehdi Benna—Mars’ Volatile History: Combining MAVEN and Curiosity Data
View slides from this presentation (7.1 MB PDF)
Sunday Panel Discussion