REMINDER: First round papers for GRL special issue on MMS:
1 December is the agreed deadline for such papers.
Fall 2015 Science Working Group / Team (SWG/SWT) Meeting
2-6 November 2015, SwRI, San Antonio TX: Logistics: Agenda (TBS), Registration;
Hotels (nearest SWRI: Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, Best Western. Also Hampton Inn, others closer to airport.)
The Fall SWT meeting will convene on Tues. 3 Nov. 2015, and adjourn on Thurs. 5 Nov.
Mon. 2 Nov and Fri. 6 Nov are available for team meetings. Rooms can be arranged through SwRI/Bill Lewis, Leah Roberson.
MMS Online Science Data Analysis Workshops
Every other Tuesday, beginning 1 Sep 2015 @ 10:00 Central / 11:00 Eastern (Note time change from 18 Aug)
Join WebEx meeting
See e-mail for hot link and definitive meeting coordinates. Or enter the following:
MMS Online Data Analysis
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
10:00 am | Central Daylight Time (Chicago, GMT-05:00) | 2 hrs
Join WebEx meeting
Meeting number: 809 629 067
Meeting password: Smart1
Join by phone
1-866-469-3239 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
1-650-429-3300 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Access code: 809 629 067
Next Science Working Team Telecon:
MMS SWT Telecon, 11:00 Eastern, Tues. 25 Aug 2015
Telecon: + 1-844-467-4685; Participant code 416667
Editable distribution address list:
• Quiet week for SITL but 15 Aug pass deserves full court press
• Post-Launch Assessment Review in parallel with this teleconference
• Online data analysis workshops: alternating Tuesdays continuing 1 Sep., 11:00 Eastern
• SODAWG: http://bit.ly/1dI4sP6
• Other business?
Eclipse Season Science Working Group / Team (SWG/SWT) Meeting
18-21 May 2015, LASP, CU Boulder: Logistics, Agenda V5a, Registration; Updates; Hotels; Presentations
The "Eclipse" SWT meeting will convene on Tuesday, May 19 at 8:30 am and adjourn on Thursday, May 21 at 5:00 pm.
MMS News (For the latest on MMS commissioning, see Payload Status link at right)
- New: 15 August: MMS encountered its first magnetopause crossing at 11:03 UT, owing to a strong compression.
- New: 13 July: All FPI spectrometers have now been activated and operated at high voltage with excellent results.
- New: 9 July: MMS constellation is brought into tetrahedral formation at 160 km mean spacing.
- 12 June: Van Allen Probes conjunction occurred. Data is available to downloaded. SITL test lessons were learned.
- 11 June: Spacecraft tilt, warm and shake did not result in additional extension of -Z ADP, but confirmed its rigidity.
- 9 June: Spacecraft being tilted to warm the -Z ADP mechanism and thruster firings will be done to perturb it.
- 27 May: Chapman Conference (NCTS 22481-15) abstracts due: http://chapman.agu.org/magnetospheric/
- 20 May: SWT meeting group photo posted to this page (scroll down).
- 15 May: SWT Agenda V5 posted at the Meeting link above with minor tweaks and better room information.
- 13 May: SWT Agenda V4a posted at the Meeting link above. Dan Baker will be our after-dinner speaker.
- 8 May: All ADP booms and EIS doors have deployed successfully. MMS #3 -Z ADP boom remains at 97% deployed but is fully functional.
- 6 May: SPDF Orbit Plots for MMS and other missions linked at the right under "Operations".
- 6 May: SWT Agenda V2 posted at the Meeting link above.
- 4 May: +Z ADP Boom deploy successfully completed on MMS 1, 2, 4; now complete on all four s/c.
- 15 April: SDP 1-4 fully deployed on MMS 1-4.
- 8 April: Published chapters of the MMS Book can be accessed using the "MMS Book" link at the right.
- 8 April: The Commissioning Plan Overview was moved to the Payload Status page, accessible at the right.
- 7 April: SDP 1-4 successfully deployed to 17 m on MMS1-4.
- 1 April: EDI is the first instrument to complete a full HV checkout on all four s/c.
- Early MMS data examples are posted under "Discussions" at the left in the navigation column.
- The Fall 2015 MMS SWT Meeting has been set for 2-6 November at SwRI in San Antonio, TX.
- 23 Mar: LV activations underway on all four s/c.
- 17 Mar: Probe receivers, MAG booms deployed, MMS captures first data including a substorm.
- 13 Mar: SWT presentations have been posted under "Discussions" on the navigation column to the left.
- 13 Mar: MMS had a picture perfect launch, injection, and separation of the four spacecraft! GO MMS!
- 7 Mar: A further revision of the SWT meeting agenda was posted. Changes are mainly on Wednesday, 11 Mar.
- 27 Feb: A major revision of the SWT meeting agenda has been necessary owing to the need for time for launch pad tours. See link above.
- 25 Feb: Encapsulation was completed and the payload is on the transporter for delivery to the launch vehicle.
- A set of photos have been posted of the MMS stack and shroud being prepped for encapsulation.
- 18 Feb: SWT Agenda has been corrected/updated with minor changes, including the abbreviated version above.
- 17 Feb: Final stacking of the spacecraft has been completed. Next: pyro mating, bagging, move to encapsulation. LV testing underway.
- 17 Feb: NASA Guest Operations is expected to mail invitations to the launch by 17 Feb. Additional information will be provided with the invites.
- Scientist In The Loop added to this page at upper right.
- 20 Jan 2015: Future Plans: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting will be in Boulder at LASP on 18-21 May, during the "eclipse break" from commissioning of the spacecraft.
- MMS Book Chapters can be browsed with the following linked search: http://link.springer.com/search?query=Magnetospheric+Multiscale
- 15 Jan 2015: Future Plans Made: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting will be in Boulder at LASP on
15-19 June18-21 May, during the "eclipse break" from commissioning of the spacecraft.
- If for any reason the launch slips, it will do so one day at a time, and it is expected that the launch will occur not later than 16 March.
- 12 Jan 2015: ULA reported to LSP and MMS that the qualification test of the new Booster Main Vehicle Battery (BMVB) was completed. Initial indications are the battery passed the test with the expected post-test VOC and a successful functional test after vibration. The battery capacity test and a DPA of the cells will be completed this week. This further increases confidence that the battery issue will be resolved in time to maintain the 3/12/2015 launch date.
- 11 Jan 2015: The orbital debris waiver for the Centaur upper stage has been approved by NASA HQ.
- Oct 2014: Magnetic explosion probes make it to the Cape
- 20-21 Oct 2014 GSFC SWT Meeting presentations are posted.
- 29 Oct 2014: MMS Spacecraft #1 and 2 shipped to KSC on 28 Oct. 2014 and have now arrived.
- 22-24 Oct 2014: The MMS Pre-Ship Review was held.
- 17 Oct 2014: The MMS Media Day and Social was held.
- The MMS Launch Readiness Date has been confirmed at 12 March 2015.
- 25-27 Mar 2014 U-Iowa SWT Meeting presentations are posted. Photo of Kletzing add to photo gallery page.
- The MMS-THEMIS Coordination Working Group Page contains important information.
- MMS Book chapter manuscripts are now due to be submitted both here for internal review, and at the Space Science Reviews site, as explained here
- For the latest on MMS, like us on Facebook
- 20 Nov 2013: A current list of MMS publications has been created.
- 26-28 June 2013 Mission Operations Review GSFC
- 10 June 2013: First CPT completed successfully! Congrats to I&T Team!
- Science article on President's Budget and impacts on STEM Education and Outreach.
- 27-30 Aug 2012: Mission SIR at GSFC
- 11 Jan 2012: IS SIR at SwRI and on WEBEX for instrument team leads. [Presentations are here.|http://tinyurl.com/773njst
- 10 June 2011: Commissioning discussion at GSFC
- 7-9 June 2011: Ground System PDR at GSFC
- 1-2 June 2011: SRB Update Briefing at GSFC Visitor Center
- 18 May 2011: "Interactive Tools for Data Transformation and Visualization" by J. Heer @ GSFC IS&T Colloquium
- 5-6 May 2011: SOC Technical Interchange Meeting at LASP
- 4 May 2011: Pre-PDR Peer Review of SOC at LASP
- New MMS Project Web Site is up. Check it out and comment here...