REMINDER: First round papers for GRL special issue on MMS:
1 December is the agreed deadline for such papers.
Spring 2016 Science Working Group / Team (SWG/SWT) Meeting
Week of 13 June 2016, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden: Logistics (TBS), Hotels (TBS), Agenda (TBS), Registration (TBS)
Fall 2015 Science Working Group / Team (SWG/SWT) Meeting
2-6 November 2015, SwRI, San Antonio TX: Logistics: Agenda (TBS), Registration;
Hotels (nearest SWRI: Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, Best Western. Also Hampton Inn, others closer to airport.)
The Fall SWT meeting will convene on Tues. 3 Nov. 2015, and adjourn on Thurs. 5 Nov.
Mon. 2 Nov and Fri. 6 Nov are available for team meetings. Rooms can be arranged through SwRI/Bill Lewis, Leah Roberson.
MMS Online Science Data Analysis Workshops
See e-mail for hot link and definitive meeting coordinates. Or use the following:
MMS Data Analysis
Every 2 weeks on Tuesday, from Tuesday, September 15, 2015, to no end date
10:00 am | Central Daylight Time (Chicago, GMT-05:00) | 2 hrs
Note: owing to the Chapman Conference on Magnetospheric Dynamics, the workshop during the week of 28 Sept. will be held on Wed. 30 Sept at 14:00 hrs | Alaska Time (Fairbanks, GMT-08:00) or 17:00 hrs | Central Time (Chicago, GMT-05:00) | for 2 hrs
Join WebEx meeting
Meeting number: 803 020 783
Meeting password: Smart1
Join by phone
1-866-469-3239 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
1-650-429-3300 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Access code: 803 020 783
Science Working Team Teleconferences:
Alternate Tuesdays beginning Tues. 25 Aug 2015
MMS SWT Telecon, 11:00 Eastern, Tues. 22 Sept 2015
[Telecon: + 1-844-467-4685; Participant code 416667]
Latest data and burst selections: https://lasp.colorado.edu/galaxy/display/mms/SITL+Reports
FDOA, Fields, HQ, FPI, SWRI, IDS1, 2,3, HPCA,
HPCA issues with data availability for ROI. May need bleeding edge. Transfer of data back and forth to SwRI is out of sync. FPI and EIS do same things with fewer issues.
Barry Mauk FEEPS data files are still too large to download for the SITL.
√Recent events and burst selections: KH 8 Sept; Now in 60 km since last Thurs. Data per buffer going up and number of buffers going down. Getting lots of crossings, more than expected, owing to high solar wind activity.
Coordination of talks for CCMC next week: working on it every day. Not ready but will be...
Identifying EDRs: E// electron agyrotropy or other indicators. Ergun: EPD to become important during Phase 2.
Science ROI Offset: SODAWG Page
Two plots, one with four week updates; one with two week updates. Be sure not to dip below 7 Re? Not a problem, terminating before reach 9 Re on the inbound leg. Tai expecting to start early on outbound, but this is not being done in the second plot though it is being done in the first plot. Orbit 190 now, starting as early as possible, before the green?
- Action to FPI and SOC to trade the 400 hours difference with FPI and with the SOC. SOC says this is sustainable in that it gives more options from which to select, though it doesn't give more downlink volume.
Strangeway: Ken Bromund needs contact for OA data. Conrad: should be getting questions about attitude and orbit. LANL is prepping the ephemeris data products. Conrad agrees, but at first cut should go to FDOA and then be handed off to LANL. Raw data coverage matters should be an FDOA matter.
Larsen: SDWG telecon in a couple hours will consider this. Direction to LANL if needed as an output of that meeting.
Eclipse Season Science Working Group / Team (SWG/SWT) Meeting
18-21 May 2015, LASP, CU Boulder: Logistics, Agenda V5a, Registration; Updates; Hotels; Presentations
The "Eclipse" SWT meeting will convene on Tuesday, May 19 at 8:30 am and adjourn on Thursday, May 21 at 5:00 pm.
MMS News (For the latest on MMS commissioning, see Payload Status link at right)
- New: 1 Sept: MMS begins full science operations.
- New: 15 August: MMS encountered its first magnetopause crossing at 11:03 UT, owing to a strong compression.
- New: 13 July: All FPI spectrometers have now been activated and operated at high voltage with excellent results.
- New: 9 July: MMS constellation is brought into tetrahedral formation at 160 km mean spacing.
- 12 June: Van Allen Probes conjunction occurred. Data is available to downloaded. SITL test lessons were learned.
- 11 June: Spacecraft tilt, warm and shake did not result in additional extension of -Z ADP, but confirmed its rigidity.
- 9 June: Spacecraft being tilted to warm the -Z ADP mechanism and thruster firings will be done to perturb it.
- 27 May: Chapman Conference (NCTS 22481-15) abstracts due: http://chapman.agu.org/magnetospheric/
- 20 May: SWT meeting group photo posted to this page (scroll down).
- 15 May: SWT Agenda V5 posted at the Meeting link above with minor tweaks and better room information.
- 13 May: SWT Agenda V4a posted at the Meeting link above. Dan Baker will be our after-dinner speaker.
- 8 May: All ADP booms and EIS doors have deployed successfully. MMS #3 -Z ADP boom remains at 97% deployed but is fully functional.
- 6 May: SPDF Orbit Plots for MMS and other missions linked at the right under "Operations".
- 6 May: SWT Agenda V2 posted at the Meeting link above.
- 4 May: +Z ADP Boom deploy successfully completed on MMS 1, 2, 4; now complete on all four s/c.
- 15 April: SDP 1-4 fully deployed on MMS 1-4.
- 8 April: Published chapters of the MMS Book can be accessed using the "MMS Book" link at the right.
- 8 April: The Commissioning Plan Overview was moved to the Payload Status page, accessible at the right.
- 7 April: SDP 1-4 successfully deployed to 17 m on MMS1-4.
- 1 April: EDI is the first instrument to complete a full HV checkout on all four s/c.
- Early MMS data examples are posted under "Discussions" at the left in the navigation column.
- The Fall 2015 MMS SWT Meeting has been set for 2-6 November at SwRI in San Antonio, TX.
- 23 Mar: LV activations underway on all four s/c.
- 17 Mar: Probe receivers, MAG booms deployed, MMS captures first data including a substorm.
- 13 Mar: SWT presentations have been posted under "Discussions" on the navigation column to the left.
- 13 Mar: MMS had a picture perfect launch, injection, and separation of the four spacecraft! GO MMS!
- 7 Mar: A further revision of the SWT meeting agenda was posted. Changes are mainly on Wednesday, 11 Mar.
- 27 Feb: A major revision of the SWT meeting agenda has been necessary owing to the need for time for launch pad tours. See link above.
- 25 Feb: Encapsulation was completed and the payload is on the transporter for delivery to the launch vehicle.
- A set of photos have been posted of the MMS stack and shroud being prepped for encapsulation.
- 18 Feb: SWT Agenda has been corrected/updated with minor changes, including the abbreviated version above.
- 17 Feb: Final stacking of the spacecraft has been completed. Next: pyro mating, bagging, move to encapsulation. LV testing underway.
- 17 Feb: NASA Guest Operations is expected to mail invitations to the launch by 17 Feb. Additional information will be provided with the invites.
- Scientist In The Loop added to this page at upper right.
- 20 Jan 2015: Future Plans: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting will be in Boulder at LASP on 18-21 May, during the "eclipse break" from commissioning of the spacecraft.
- MMS Book Chapters can be browsed with the following linked search: http://link.springer.com/search?query=Magnetospheric+Multiscale
- 15 Jan 2015: Future Plans Made: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting will be in Boulder at LASP on
15-19 June18-21 May, during the "eclipse break" from commissioning of the spacecraft.
- If for any reason the launch slips, it will do so one day at a time, and it is expected that the launch will occur not later than 16 March.
- 12 Jan 2015: ULA reported to LSP and MMS that the qualification test of the new Booster Main Vehicle Battery (BMVB) was completed. Initial indications are the battery passed the test with the expected post-test VOC and a successful functional test after vibration. The battery capacity test and a DPA of the cells will be completed this week. This further increases confidence that the battery issue will be resolved in time to maintain the 3/12/2015 launch date.
- 11 Jan 2015: The orbital debris waiver for the Centaur upper stage has been approved by NASA HQ.
- Oct 2014: Magnetic explosion probes make it to the Cape
- 20-21 Oct 2014 GSFC SWT Meeting presentations are posted.
- 29 Oct 2014: MMS Spacecraft #1 and 2 shipped to KSC on 28 Oct. 2014 and have now arrived.
- 22-24 Oct 2014: The MMS Pre-Ship Review was held.
- 17 Oct 2014: The MMS Media Day and Social was held.
- The MMS Launch Readiness Date has been confirmed at 12 March 2015.
- 25-27 Mar 2014 U-Iowa SWT Meeting presentations are posted. Photo of Kletzing add to photo gallery page.
- The MMS-THEMIS Coordination Working Group Page contains important information.
- MMS Book chapter manuscripts are now due to be submitted both here for internal review, and at the Space Science Reviews site, as explained here
- For the latest on MMS, like us on Facebook
- 20 Nov 2013: A current list of MMS publications has been created.
- 26-28 June 2013 Mission Operations Review GSFC
- 10 June 2013: First CPT completed successfully! Congrats to I&T Team!
- Science article on President's Budget and impacts on STEM Education and Outreach.
- 27-30 Aug 2012: Mission SIR at GSFC
- 11 Jan 2012: IS SIR at SwRI and on WEBEX for instrument team leads. [Presentations are here.|http://tinyurl.com/773njst
- 10 June 2011: Commissioning discussion at GSFC
- 7-9 June 2011: Ground System PDR at GSFC
- 1-2 June 2011: SRB Update Briefing at GSFC Visitor Center
- 18 May 2011: "Interactive Tools for Data Transformation and Visualization" by J. Heer @ GSFC IS&T Colloquium
- 5-6 May 2011: SOC Technical Interchange Meeting at LASP
- 4 May 2011: Pre-PDR Peer Review of SOC at LASP
- New MMS Project Web Site is up. Check it out and comment here...