Next Science Working Team / Group Meeting
Note: There will be nearly a full day on 12 March for interdisciplinary science talks. Please submit talk titles through your team lead.
SWG: 10 March 08:30 - 12:00
SWT: 10 March 13:00 - 17:00
11 March 08:30 - 18:00
12 March 08:30 - 16:00
12 March: 19:45 - 20:45: Board buses at KSC Visitor Center for Launch Reception/Viewing
Photo of Banana Creek Viewing area and area map Cocoa Beach to KSC Visitor Complex
In the background is the Apollo/Saturn V building. SWRI and NASA-GSFC will be hosting a reception in that building before the launch (rather than after as had been discussed previously) for all of the MMS (SwRI and GSFC) invitees. The reception will run from 8:30 PM until 10:30 PM and will include food and cash bar and access to the various interactive exhibits and theaters of the museum along with the gift shop. Launch is scheduled at 10:44 pm. Our group will have reserved sections of the bleachers.
The map (click to expand) shows the route from Cocoa Beach to the KSC Visitor Complex, where buses will pick up invitees to travel to the reception at the Apollo/Saturn V building (near top center). The nearby viewing site is the closest one to Pad 41 (top right), from which MMS will be launched.
MMS News (For the latest on MMS, like us on Facebook and get the news in your feed!)
- New: 27 Feb: A major revision of the SWT meeting agenda has been necessary owing to the need for time for launch pad tours. See link above.
- New: 25 Feb: Encapsulation was completed and the payload is on the transporter for delivery to the launch vehicle.
- A set of photos have been posted of the MMS stack and shroud being prepped for encapsulation.
- 18 Feb: SWT Agenda has been corrected/updated with minor changes, including the abbreviated version above.
- 17 Feb: Final stacking of the spacecraft has been completed. Next: pyro mating, bagging, move to encapsulation. LV testing underway.
- 17 Feb: NASA Guest Operations is expected to mail invitations to the launch by 17 Feb. Additional information will be provided with the invites.
- Scientist In The Loop added to this page at upper right.
- Future Plans: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting will be in Boulder at LASP on 18-21 May, during the "eclipse break" from commissioning of the spacecraft.
- MMS Book Chapters can be browsed with the following linked search: http://link.springer.com/search?query=Magnetospheric+Multiscale
- Future Plans Made: The first post-launch MMS SWT meeting will be in Boulder at LASP on
15-19 June18-21 May, during the "eclipse break" from commissioning of the spacecraft.
- If for any reason the launch slips, it will do so one day at a time, and it is expected that the launch will occur not later than 16 March.
- 12 Jan 2015: ULA reported to LSP and MMS that the qualification test of the new Booster Main Vehicle Battery (BMVB) was completed. Initial indications are the battery passed the test with the expected post-test VOC and a successful functional test after vibration. The battery capacity test and a DPA of the cells will be completed this week. This further increases confidence that the battery issue will be resolved in time to maintain the 3/12/2015 launch date.
- 11 Jan 2015: The orbital debris waiver for the Centaur upper stage has been approved by NASA HQ.
- Oct 2014: Magnetic explosion probes make it to the Cape
- 20-21 Oct 2014 GSFC SWT Meeting presentations are posted.
- MMS Spacecraft #1 and 2 shipped to KSC on 28 Oct. 2014 and arrived 29 Oct. 2013
- The MMS Pre-Ship Review was held 22-24 Oct. 2014.
- The MMS Media Day and Social was held 17 Oct. 2014.
- The MMS Launch Readiness Date has been confirmed at 12 March 2015.
- 25-27 Mar 2014 U-Iowa SWT Meeting presentations are posted. Photo of Kletzing add to photo gallery page.
- The MMS-THEMIS Coordination Working Group Page contains important information.
- MMS Book chapter manuscripts are now due to be submitted both here for internal review, and at the Space Science Reviews site, as explained here
- For the latest on MMS, like us on Facebook
- 20 Nov 2013: A current list of MMS publications has been created.
- 26-28 June 2013 Mission Operations Review GSFC
- 10 June 2013: First CPT completed successfully! Congrats to I&T Team!
- Science article on President's Budget and impacts on STEM Education and Outreach.
- 27-30 Aug 2012: Mission SIR at GSFC
- 11 Jan 2012: IS SIR at SwRI and on WEBEX for instrument team leads. [Presentations are here.|http://tinyurl.com/773njst
- 10 June 2011: Commissioning discussion at GSFC
- 7-9 June 2011: Ground System PDR at GSFC
- 1-2 June 2011: SRB Update Briefing at GSFC Visitor Center
- 18 May 2011: "Interactive Tools for Data Transformation and Visualization" by J. Heer @ GSFC IS&T Colloquium
- 5-6 May 2011: SOC Technical Interchange Meeting at LASP
- 4 May 2011: Pre-PDR Peer Review of SOC at LASP
- New MMS Project Web Site is up. Check it out and comment here...